Tuesday, January 10, 2012

DIY Christmas Ornaments

I know this is a late post, but hey, it is better late than never!

I have a "Cookie Bake" every year a bit before Christmas. I invite 10-20 people over, and everyone brings $10 or a few ingredients I tell them beforehand, a container, and a secret santa present(partner previously determined of course).
We then spend a good 6 or 7 hours snacking, baking, and creating lots of snacks. This year I baked about 100 saltdough ornaments before the party, and I bought paint and glitter and ribbons and people had make&take ornaments. It was a huge hit! :D

For my Secret Santa, I was with a friend Becka. We are new friends, and don't know too much about each other. I was having a tough time finding something for her, and the limit is $10. I didn't wanna be that person who buys the generic gift set! I got to thinking, and two things she really loves are Twilight, and Taylor Swift.

I went and bought clear glass bulbs and decided to make her some ornaments :)

Her daughter just turned one, and it was an emotional time for her, so I played on the words from "Never Grow Up" by Taylor Swift (Mom's, if you haven't heard this one, go grab a tissue and youtube it!)


I'm going to be honest, I'm not as creative as I wish I could be, and figuring out how to make a Taylor Swift ornament was NOT an easy task. In the End I took blue and purple scrap paper I had, and cut it into different lengths and widths and crinkle folded it. I am sure that is not an actual term, but that's what I did! And I added some glitter(mind you, when I say some, I really mean half a tube!). On the outside I wrote "Never Grow Up <3 " And tied it with a cute little ribbon :) She also got this ornament :




With this one, I took 2 shades of red, and black scraps and crinkled them. Added some more glitter and wrote "And the lion fell in love with the lamb".

On top of these 2 presents, I had a friend who is a graphic design major make her a custom Taylor Swift collage, and I got her some Sweet Pea body wash from Bath&Body!

The presents & cookie bake were a huge success!!

Until next time,
Meghan xoxo

No comments: